Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Needing a Vacation FROM Vacation

As most of you probably know, Molly and I took a one week vacation to the mother-Island of Puerto Rico with my sister and her boyfriend Steve. The trip was, for my sister and I, to see family and introduce them to our significant others. For Molly and Steve, however, the trip was meant to simply be a relaxing vacation.

Therein lied the problem.

My sister and I were so hell-bent on going from San Juan to Arecibo to Sabana Grande to the Phosphorescent Bay back to Arecibo back to San Juan, etc etc that we never really had any time to truly relax. Nearly every morning we were up by 6AM (1st morning was thanks to Steve for leaving the curtains open in the hotel room) and we immediately were on our way out to the door for one activity or another.

While that lead to us seeing the MOST of Puerto Rico and family as we could in 7 days, it also lead to us being dead tired, and returning to Houston feeling like we hadn't been on vacation at all.
I think in the future, I will leave much more room in the trip-plans for "Nothing". There is much to be gained on vacation from simply laying in the sun, reading a book or listening to music, and just relaxing. THAT is what vacations are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment