Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Company Golf

During one of my first meetings with my new boss, I was asked "Do I play golf?". The answer, of course, if yes, but I am not very good. Well, he invites me to this Company Sponsored golf tournament which was held on Monday. Oh boy.

First things first, when my 1st meeting with my new boss involves an invitation for golf, I just KNOW it's going to be a great new job for me.

Then, there's the actual golf tourney. Pretty much the entire company was there at the Kingwood Country Club. I saw the founder as I was warming up, I saw Head Ops and Supply Chain Management guys throughout the day, and I even had the CEO of the company make small talk with me just before the cocktail hour. Needless to say, it was a great place to meet the people in power.

As for the golfing, I did a LOT better than I originally had hoped. I was money with my irons, especially the 5 & 6, as well as with my pitching wedge, where I hit a few shots from 100 yards out that got within a few yards of the hole. Even my drives were behaving. I still have a slight slice on my drives off the tee, but they were very manageable and only a couple really got away from me. Where I completely failed was my putting. I was just plain awful on the greens. It's not that I wasn't getting close, but I was missing on 8 foot putts, and 6 foot putts, and 12 foot putts, and pretty much every birdie attempt our team had was thwarted by poor putting.

It wasn't about the score though. With our 5 player, Par is your friend, scramble format, we ended up shooting a 1-under 71. The winner? They shot a 52. Yeah, 20 under par on 18 holes. Frikkin ridiculous. Not a big deal though. I got to hang out with my new boss and co-worker, drink some beer, play some golf and schmooze with the higher ups. All in all, that's pretty darn good for a Monday workday. I am definitely looking forward to more days like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment